Thursday 21 February 2013

Some thoughts on Valentine's Day


I’m back…! I know blogs are supposed to be updated on a regular basis but I was in the UK (visiting my brand new niece, the first addition to our family in 19 years…) and things had piled up in my absence, as they tend to when you work for yourself, so I’m afraid my blogging career went into a bit of a tailspin.

I missed Valentine’s Day. … so I was anxious to find out from my jeweller friends how it had gone for them. Apparently quite well, there are still a few romantics out there BUT interestingly; it’s not the occasion it used to be for engagements.

That surprised me, but on reflection I shouldn’t have been. My husband and I got engaged on Valentines Day. By that I mean we had decided to get married some time before Christmas, had chosen the ring and organized the event (which was to happen later in the Summer) but we made the official announcement on Valentine’s Day. I say ‘we’… I mean ‘I.’ My husband couldn’t have given a toss what day we announced it and I can’t say he’s given Valentine’s much consideration in the interim either! 

My sons, (both in their 20s) share their father’s lack of interest (I failed to pass on my romantic bones) with my elder son having a particular aversion for the date. He regards it with characteristic distain as ‘nothing but a commercial Hallmark occasion.’ I couldn’t count the number of ‘discussions’ we’re had on the topic with me taking the stance that it doesn’t matter what it is or who benefits, the bottom line is that it’s as good an excuse as any to tell those around you that you love them. And what’s wrong with that?

Nothing, I reckon; but given the drop off in engagements on the day (I’m assured that the number of engagements, per se, have not dropped) it would seem that V Day is no longer in vogue for popping the question.

Can this be true? Are my sons symptomatic of a breed of young men who regard St. Valentine’s Day with principled cynicism or ….are they just too lazy to bother?

I’m looking for answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment or a question?
Type it here or email me at jacinta@jewelmagazine.ie